Skip to main content
green teal diagonals background

If You’re Facing Eviction, You Have Renter Rights

As a renter, you have rights that protect you and your home. You also have access to support and assistance if you fall on hard times. If you’re facing eviction, it’s important that you understand your protections.

See how your rights apply in these three most common eviction experiences

In this case, you may qualify for local or state emergency rental assistance programs that can help you cover rent, utilities, and more. This can help ease the burden of mounting expenses and give you breathing room to find a lasting solution.

If you’re having trouble paying your rent, you may choose to talk to your landlord about your situation. If you do, consider these tips:

  • Be candid. Share how your income has been affected and how your family would be impacted by being evicted. 
  • Mention options you’ve found. Discuss the assistance resources you may have located. 
  • Ask about repayment flexibility. For example, do they offer repayment plans or temporary rent reduction? Be sure to ask if there are penalties associated.
  • Keep a written record. Save all email and text messages and make notes of in-person conversations.  
  • Stay calm. Communicate your situation clearly and calmly, as your landlord may also be experiencing challenges during this time.

Call 1-855-HERE2HELP (855-437-3243) to talk to a housing counselor at no cost to you

No matter your housing situation, we recommend that you connect with a HUD-approved housing counselor for expert guidance and support through this confusing process.

A housing counselor can help you navigate conversations with your landlord and understand your rental lease. They can also help you manage conversations and expectations, so you understand your rights and know how to locate financial assistance or new housing options.

Learn more

Depending on your situation, you may qualify for free legal help, which can help you better understand your options.

Every state offers different rights and assistance. Learn more about what’s available to you from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

If you believe you’re being evicted because of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, familial status, or nation origin, file a discrimination complaint with HUD.

If available, consider applying for local rental assistance to help you find a new home.

Know your renter rights when the property you live in is facing foreclosure

You may have options and protections, such as the Tenant-in-Place Rental Program.

The Tenant-in-Place Rental Program

If you’re renting a Fannie Mae financed home at the time of foreclosure, you may be eligible for the Tenant-in-Place Rental program. The program can help you continue to lease the home for a period of time, providing relief from the foreclosure process and time to transition to new housing. In addition, you may also be eligible for financial relocation assistance.

With this protection, there are two lease options: 

  • Sign a new lease. Eligible renters who want to stay in a rental home that has been foreclosed and is owned by Fannie Mae may be offered a new lease. This would be market rate in a month-to-month or term structure. 
  • Keep your current lease. Some tenants may be permitted to remain in their home under existing lease terms. Fannie Mae will manage the property through a real estate broker or property management company.

If you’re in a rental that meets the criteria for this program, your property should be posted with a “Knowing Your Options” letter, which includes contact information for a Listing Agent who can help you understand the options relevant to your situation.

More to explore